A photo of the women working at the Linthorpe Pottery.
Middlesbrough’s first art pottery was founded in 1879, on the site of the former ‘Sun Brick Works’, Linthorpe, under the proprietorship of Mr. John Harrison. The suitability of the local clay for the manufacture of high class products was first noted by Dr. Christopher Dresser, a celebrated architect and designer, and the success of the undertaking was largely due to the skill and energy of the manager Henry Tooth. Great attention to detail was paid to the beauty of form, colour and glazing in the creation of both functional and ornamental products.
Image and information courtesy of Middlesbrough Public Libraries.